KOLKATA, Dec. 13: The additional chief judicial magistrate of Kakdwip court has asked the superintendent of Diamond Harbour sub-divisional hospital to conduct an inquiry into the nature of injury that a Nandigram resident, arrested on charges of being involved in a Maoist network, had sustained in police custody last month.
The order was issued by the ACJM , Mr Subhankar Sen, yesterday after an inspector belonging to Criminal Investigation Department (CID), who was accused of torturing the man in police custody, had moved a petition to the court saying that the charges against him were false.
Mr Sen passed an order on 28 November directing the deputy inspector general of police, CID, to punish a police inspector, Mr Gour Mohan Roy, following an allegation that the latter had tortured Mr Prakash Munian, a resident of Kendamari near Nandigram, in custody.
“In what seems to be a bid to avoid facing punishment, Mr Roy stated in the court on 3 December that Mr Munian sustained injury because he had fallen down in the bathroom. Mr Roy claimed that he had not tortured Mr Munian. The magistrate passed an order yesterday asking the superintendent of the hospital to probe into the nature of injury and submit a report before the court on 19 December. The matter will come up for hearing on 19 December,” said Mr Kallol Das, president of Kakdwip Court Bar Association, and lawyer of Munian.
Mr Das said his client was arrested, along with two other Nandigram residents, on 13 November from Kakdwip on charges of being involved in Maoist activities in Nandigram. The accused were later remanded in police custody. When produced before the court on 28 November, Mr Munian told the magistrate that he sustained injuries in his leg, head and ear after policemen had assaulted him in custody.
Complaint against CRPF
A complaint had been lodged with the Khejuri police station by Mrs Lashmipriya Das, wife of veteran freedom fighter Mr Brajalal Das, accusing some CRPF personnel of “needlessly searching” their house, the chief minister told the Assembly today.
The matter is under investigation, it was stated. It is true that some allegations have been received against the CRPF who are operating jointly with the state police in Nandigram, he said. Incidentally, it was chief minister Mr Bhattacharjee who had sought the CRPF contingent when trouble was simmering in Nandigram. The bloodshed could have been lessened, he felt, had these Central forces arrived earlier.
NANDIGRAM, Dec. 13: Two more women turned up today claiming the decomposed body exhumed yesterday from a grave at Parulbari in Nandigram. While one woman who claimed yesterday that the body was of her missing husband belonging to the BUPC, two women today claimed that the same body was of their husbands who were CPI-M supporters.