Monday, May 5, 2008

Woman stripped & beaten up : The Statesman (5.05.08)

http://www.thestatesman.org/page.arcview.php?date=2008-05-06&usrsess=1661188831324&clid=1&id=229225

Biswabrata Goswami
NANDIGRAM, May 5: A 35-year-old woman was stripped, slapped, beaten up and harassed at gun-point in presence of her six-year-old son by a group of armed men, allegedly backed by the CPI-M at Keyakhali village in Nandigram early this morning. The attackers abducted her husband and elder son and threw her younger son into a nearby pond. Later, the boy was rescued by his uncle. The housewife is undergoing treatment at the Nandigram block hospital. The attending doctor said: “She is mentally shattered as she was physically assaulted after being stripped.” The victim said: “They (CPI-M cadres with local and outside workers) came to my house around 4 a.m. today. They threatened me and my family members with dire-consequences and asked us to leave the village immediately. They then went away to return a few minutes later. They abused me and dragged out my husband and my elder son from the house. They physically harassed me and beat me up with lathis and rifle-butts. and threatened to kill me. They caught me as I reached Bankimnagar. They slapped me and gave me a saree I refused to take it because it was not my saree but they forced me to wear it.”

0 comments: